Insecure Writer’s Support Group

02 Jan
As I look back at 2012 I wonder where the writing time went. I was writing everyday but didn’t think I accomplished anything but I was wrong. When I finally took a tally of what I had done I realized I had accomplished more than I thought. I had finished Book 2 of the series I’m writing and started a rough draft of Book 3. The first few chapters of Book 1 is in the hands of my critique partners. I have started working on a couple of screenplays I want to finish this year.

One of my worst fears about my writing is that it’s not good enough. I have overcome that fear by joining local writing groups and sharing my writing with them. I have an online support system as well that has helped me to realize that I have potential as a writer. The one thing I have done that I consider a triumph is I have started to enter different contests and have started joining blog hops. Before I joined the writing groups I didn’t share my writing with anyone that wasn’t family. I didn’t have the courage to enter contests or join blog hops but that changed over the last year or so. I have learned over the last year that you have to take chances and show your work to others if you want to grow as a writer.

My advice to another writer would be to write and write often. Get your story out and then worry about everything else that comes with the writing. Don’t let anyone tell you that you are wasting your time writing because you are not. You have a story to tell so don’t let anyone discourage you from doing it.

Posted by on 01/02/2013 in A Creative Mind Blog

10 responses to “Insecure Writer’s Support Group

01/02/2013 at 3:00 pm

And remember how fortunate we creative folk are to have such worries!

Welcome to IWSG — and yes the secret is to keep writing. Just posting my horribly negative IWSG post has released some of the demons haunting me. I had forgotten that putting it down on paper is very cathartic.

2. Diane Riggins

01/02/2013 at 3:17 pm

So true!

Thanks. I know what you mean when I was writing mine and getting it ready to post it helped to release some stress I was feeling.

3. Alex J. Cavanaugh

01/02/2013 at 8:21 pm

At the very least, it's all good practice.
    And thanks for joining the IWSG – you won't find a more supportive group anywhere else.

4. Diane Riggins

01/02/2013 at 9:51 pm

Totally agree Alex.
    Glad to be part of the group.

5. Kelley Lynn

01/05/2013 at 7:39 pm

Hi Diane!

This is a great post and something we all feel. But your advice is spot on. Never stop writing. Ever. Never stop sharing. There is NOTHING wrong with getting a critique from someone. That means you know where to improve! Who doesn't want to improve, right? It's scary, but necessary. Here's to 2013 being an awesome year!

6. Diane Riggins

01/07/2013 at 12:24 pm

So true about wanting to improve. It is scary but necessary. I know I have improved a lot with the help of my critique partners.

I agree with you about 2013 being an awesome year!

7. Luanne Smith

01/07/2013 at 1:27 pm

Sharing the work for critique and getting honest feedback really does help to build strong writing muscles. It's all about improving the story.

8. Tonja

01/07/2013 at 2:31 pm

I agree – sharing your work is so important to building confidence.

9. Diane Riggins

01/08/2013 at 4:31 am

Hi Luanne, Thanks for stopping by. That is so true. Good luck with your writing this year.

10. Diane Riggins

01/08/2013 at 4:34 am

Hi Tonja, Thanks for stopping by. It truly is. I have improved a lot thanks to sharing my work and getting honest feedback from others.