#AtoZChallenge: Faramir, Fili, Frodo

F (1)

Faramir is one of those characters I really loved. He was just trying to get out of his brother’s shadow and prove that he was just as good as Boromir. They were both their own person. I felt so bad for him when his father didn’t care if he lived or not during the attacks on the castle.

Credit movieweb

In The Hobbit book and movies Fili and Kili are my favorites along with Thorin. I liked Bilbo as well but those three are the ones I like to watch on screen. Fili was the nephew of Thorin. He was meant to be king of Erebor one day. He and his brother followed Thorin to Erebor to take it back. The one thing I didn’t like about the book or the movies was that he and his brother died at a young age even though they were considered adults in dwarven culture.

Lastly, one of my other faves is Frodo. He is cute for a hobbit. The decisions he had to make weren’t easy ones. As a fan you could see that the ring was starting to draw him in faster than it did Bilbo. I think the reason for that is that he was so young and hadn’t really lived at that point like Bilbo had. Bilbo was older than Frodo when he found the ring. You could see in The Hobbit how it had started to work on Bilbo and try to draw him in to control him. You could see basically from the beginning the toll it was taking on Frodo. I believe Sam saw the change faster than the others did. I believe the friendship of those people are what kept him focused enough to get to Mt. Doom and destroy the ring.

Look forward to reading your comments. 🙂

Posted by on 04/07/2015 in blog hops

14 responses to “#AtoZChallenge: Faramir, Fili, Frodo

1. djinnia

04/07/2015 at 9:41 am

Frodo’s naïveté and innocence was one of the reasons the held him so fast, I think. It used it against him.

Faramir is my favorite of the brothers. To have such honor even after he was sent to die by his own father.

04/07/2015 at 9:54 am

I agree but I think that’s what made me like him as a character even if it was used against him.
      Faramir is great. I agree about his honor especially after his father sent him to die.

2. timsbrannan

04/07/2015 at 12:09 pm

LOVE your theme! Frodo of course was great and he was Tolkien’s “everyman”. Maybe not as much as Bilbo was. But he was the man for the terrible job.

Looking forward to seeing what you will do all month!!

Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires

04/07/2015 at 2:40 pm

My now-teenage daughter had such a crush on Elijah Wood’s Frodo from the films. I hadn’t really thought before about how much more quickly Frodo succumbed. I wonder if it was meant to show a difference in demeanor or the growing power of the ring itself.

04/07/2015 at 4:43 pm

He was cute. 🙂 I agree about him. I think it was meant to show both. His demeanor could change quickly because he was young and it also could show the growing power of the ring.

4. Alex J. Cavanaugh (@AlexJCavanaugh)

04/07/2015 at 7:48 pm

That was sad when both brothers died, especially in the movie.

04/07/2015 at 8:16 pm

Yes, it was. I will admit I do get a little teary eyed when that part of the movie starts.

5. Liz Brownlee (@Lizpoet)

04/08/2015 at 8:03 am

I chose The Hobbit as my ‘school ‘prize’ back in the 1970s for having passed all my O levels with good grades, as they were then. Loved it, still love it now. And of course Lord of the Rings. When we went to see the films, on the last one, I sat in the seat and sobbed and my family fled, embarrassed, without me at the end!

04/08/2015 at 11:19 am

Nothing wrong with being sad about the end of the last movie. I cried at the end of the movie as well. 🙂

6. Jemima Pett

05/19/2015 at 9:05 am

I love Faramir. He’s the best, a worthy steward, and would have been great in his own right, but had the wisdom and humility to accept Aragorn as he should. I was incensed by the film’s treatment of him; he would never have tried to take the ring from Frodo.

05/19/2015 at 1:13 pm

Faramir was a great character. He was one of my favorites.

7. Jemima Pett

05/19/2015 at 9:07 am

I don’t think the ring worked faster on Frodo for the reasons others have suggested. The plain fact was that Sauron came to realise the one ring was out there, so he was looking for it; he wasn’t while Bilbo had it… or not seriously, at any rate. Also, Bilbo was only using it around the Shire once he got home; Frodo was taking it ever closer to the heart of its power.

05/19/2015 at 1:16 pm

That is true. Bilbo used it during the quest and then again when he got back to the shire and Frodo was taking it back to Mordor to destroy it so the pull of it to return to its master would grow stronger as he got closer.