#atozchallenge: Dreams, Dropbox

D 2016

Today’s topics are good ones. I want to talk a little bit about dreams and how I as a writer have a few ideas from them. For me the more vivid the dream is the more I remember about it. I’ll write down everything about the dream and especially will make note if I’ve had the same dream several times with the same characters. The characters will sometimes be in the same location for several dreams or they might go one location to another as they try to make me realize it’s their story and they want it told using one or both of the locations. The Vampires of New Orleans and The Silvercreek Pack series (shapeshifters) plots were formed from dreams I had.

Another one is a tool I use and I’m sure a lot of you do as well and that’s dropbox. I’ve recently started using it and am glad I did. I backup all of the copies I create of a story whether it’s the original copy or a copy I’m revising. I’ll give them file names that reflect the status of that copy. Dropbox is just of the few backup locations I use. I use google docs. One reason I’m glad to have dropbox is that I recently got a new desktop computer and I was able to load my scrivener projects back to scrivener without any problems. So, now I don’t have to spend hours typing everything back in. 🙂

Look forward to your comments. 🙂

Posted by on 04/05/2016 in blog hops

29 responses to “#atozchallenge: Dreams, Dropbox

1. tawnyalarie

04/05/2016 at 12:05 pm

Love the idea about keeping a record or your dreams. I know I have heard it before, but you put it in a way that makes more sense to me now! I am going to look into dropbox too! Great post!

2. Lori Carlson

04/05/2016 at 12:51 pm

Hello Diane! I keep a dream journal and often write poetry from my dreams. I’ve never had the characters turn into stories though. Congrats on being able to do that! I don’t use Dropbox. Something about it annoys me and I cannot put a finger on why. I just have two external drives that I back files up on. Probably not the best method though.
    Best Wishes!
    Lori

My A2Zs @ As the Fates Would Have It & Promptly Written
    Follow Me (Ravyne) Twitter|Facebook

04/05/2016 at 1:34 pm

Hi Lori, thanks. yeah dropbox isn’t for everyone. It took me a bit to get used to using it and I have a friend who was able to give me tips about the best way to use it to back things up. External drives work too. 🙂

• Lori Carlson

04/06/2016 at 12:15 am

Welcome, Diane. Maybe if I had someone to show me the proper way to use it, it would take that doubt away.

04/06/2016 at 10:35 am

Hi Lori, I probably wouldn’t be using it if it wasn’t for my friend. Good luck if you decide to use it. Hope you can find someone to help you with it. 🙂

• Lori Carlson

04/06/2016 at 5:07 pm

Thanks Diane 🙂

3. Jackie Jain

04/05/2016 at 12:59 pm

Dreams are always a great way of imagination and creativity. they are a world which we are unaware of. And Drop box it is a nice option to back up.

Great post! Have a good time. 🙂

04/05/2016 at 1:35 pm

Hi Jackie, yes they are. It took me a bit of time and a friend’s help to learn how to best use dropbox for backing up my work. 🙂

• Jackie Jain

04/05/2016 at 1:58 pm

It happens. . Nothing is wrong when we take help of friend to know something. .
        Have a good time. . 🙂

04/05/2016 at 2:09 pm

I agree 🙂

4. cleemckenzie

04/05/2016 at 1:29 pm

I have to say I love Dropbox! Now that I have it I don’t know what I’d do without it.

04/05/2016 at 1:37 pm

Dropbox is great. I had a friend give me tips on how to use it because they had been using it for a long time and now I don’t know what I would do. I do use google docs as well. 🙂

5. Cafenined Words

04/05/2016 at 1:42 pm

It is of great use ☺☺
    Informative post …

@dixita011 from
    Cafenined words

04/05/2016 at 1:54 pm

My dreams rarely make enough sense to be useful, but I’ll second that recommendation for dropbox. A G-dsend when you have to recover from a tech disaster.

@mirymom1 from

04/05/2016 at 2:08 pm

Dropbox is good when you need to recover files. I’m glad a friend talked me into trying it. 🙂

7. G. R. McNeese

04/05/2016 at 2:42 pm

I think I need to keep a dream journal. I seem to have some vivid dreams, and just trying to memorize them off the top of my head does me no good. The authenticity wears off as soon as I wake up.

I have Dropbox on my laptop, but have no idea what to use it for. To hear that it makes a good backup is something I should look into.

04/05/2016 at 2:46 pm

Hi G.R., I had the same issue until I started keeping a dream journal. It helps a lot. Dropbox made it easy for me to load files to my new computer and I didn’t have to spend time recreating those files. 🙂

8. lgkeltner

04/05/2016 at 3:26 pm

I’ve definitely used dreams to write my stories before. Dreams are one of the best creative resources we have!

04/05/2016 at 3:45 pm

I use dreams all the time in my writing. I have Carbonite and Drop-box. Don’t want to lose anything!

04/05/2016 at 4:08 pm

I believe for writers that dreams can be a good thing. 🙂 I agree. Lost a whole story before I started backing up to drop-box. 🙂

10. greyzoned/angelsbark

04/05/2016 at 4:56 pm

I love to dream. I look forward to going to sleep because it’s like I go to the movies every night!

I’ve only used Dropbox a few times but that’s a good idea to be able to use it as a backup source. I’m always worried that my whole blog will crash and disappear!

Michele at Angels Bark

04/06/2016 at 10:32 am

I totally agree with you about dreams. Yes it’s always good to have a backup source whether it’s dropbox or something else. 🙂

11. subhmohanty

04/05/2016 at 5:00 pm

I couldn’t have agreed more..Dreams are surely a window to our psyche, where the stories are born.
    Regarding dropbox,I have an account, but havent used that often, may be I should give it a try.

If you get time, please do visit my blog and I would love to hear your feedback.

@Subhmohanty from
    And Life Unfolds
    A for Alone
    B for Butterfly
    C for Curry
    D for Dance

04/06/2016 at 10:32 am

Yes they are. Dropbox is a good backup source to have. 🙂

• subhmohanty

04/06/2016 at 10:33 am

Sure will try it, thanks

04/06/2016 at 10:37 am