#IWSG: Camp NaNo and other things

02 Aug

Insecure Writers Support Group Badge

Camp NaNo has ended. I won this time. I was able to get an outline done for Town Curse which I’m still working on. I have also come to the conclusion that I need to go back and write better outlines for my other stories. Also, need to create character sketches for my characters. I have never really done that for them before and realize it needs to be done.

I spent a couple of days in July creating new scrivener files for my novels because I plan to start from scratch with them. Still have the old ones to use as sort of a guide until I decide I don’t need them anymore. Though I most likely will never get rid of the old ones because you never know when you might realize that the old story is actually the one you want to use. So, we will see what happens.

That’s it for now. Look forward to your comments. 🙂

8 responses to “#IWSG: Camp NaNo and other things

1. David Stringer

08/02/2017 at 1:52 pm

I’m very much an outliner. Although I do deviate from my outlines, having that framework prevents me from going too far off track, or sending my characters down irrelevant sidetracks. Hopefully it’ll work as well for you!

08/02/2017 at 2:20 pm

Hi David, thanks. I hope so too. I’m finding that doing an outline is often necessary. One of my classes has us outlining a story and having never really done one before has made me realize that they are necessary especially when writing a series. 🙂

2. Rita Fitzpatrick

08/02/2017 at 6:20 pm

Hi Diane, Congrats on winning at camp NaNo! Woo hoo! I’d never outlined a book until this week. I’m hoping it will help me write the first draft a little faster!

08/02/2017 at 9:31 pm

Thanks Rita. That’s what I hope to achieve as well with doing one myself. Good luck. 🙂

08/02/2017 at 9:45 pm

Congratulations, I learned to write an outline this year, took the Master Class with James Patterson, best thing to come out of it.

08/02/2017 at 10:18 pm

Thank you. Yeah, it has been one of the best things about my class so far. Definitely learning a lot about writing in both of them. Especially how to write a good outline. 🙂

4. Alex J. Cavanaugh (@AlexJCavanaugh)

08/03/2017 at 7:36 am

Congratulations!
    I always do both for my work. Otherwise my stories would wander into the desert and never return…

08/03/2017 at 2:29 pm

Hi Alex, thanks. That’s what I’m learning now that I’m taking the classes. Looked at some of my old stuff and realized I had gotten away from the plot and the stories made little sense. Back to drawing board with those with new outlines and character sketches. 🙂